Posted on: 10th March 2017
As well as the day to day running of a very busy library that has 15 KS3 lessons and large numbers of sixth formers working in it the Library has one off events happening all the time. Here is a flavour of the things that have been going on this term:
- Reading Questionnaire for Year 7 which is analysed and used to encourage students with their reading choices.
- Preparation for the various author events in Library Lessons e.g. Mind Maps for Shakespeare
- Talk to Year 12 preparing for their Extended Essay about accessing resources for their research.
- A well-attended Parents’ Reading Group who meet once a month on a Saturday morning. Currently reading Joanne Harris’s A Different Class. Next title is The Secret Place by Tana French.
- Arts Award Moderation. 10 students successfully completed and passed the Arts Award Bronze (there is a display in cloister cabinet). There were two groups; one looking at picture books and then creating their own and one looking at Graphic Novels, Manga and comics before creating their own comic strip.
- Bali Rai talked to Year 9 and Year 12 students and was in the Library at lunchtime chatting to students
- Dan Smith came in for an after College event which was well supported and a great hit with the staff and students. His current book Boy X is shortlisted for the Essex Book Award and is very popular at Hockerill
- Chris Lloyd is visiting us today with his giant wallbook . He will bring his Shakespeare wallbook and introduce Year 7 to the topic in a fun, interactive way.
- World Book Day. The Library held a quiz at lunchtime called Location, Location, Location which was about places in books. There were lots of prizes but Suzanna Tischkowitz in 7D won the first prize – an illustrated Harry Potter book. The WBD £1 tokens were handed out to all students to use in bookshops to purchase a WBD book or put towards any other book or audiobook of their choice.
- Books & Biscuits Club had a trip to Bishop's Stortford College for their Picture Book Award as part of their Literature Festival.
- Essex Book Award. Books & Biscuits have taken part in this award for the second year running. The students have read the six shortlisted books and have written reviews for their blog and made book trailers for a competition run by Essex Schools Library Service. This linked with the Dan Smith event. We will be taking a small group on 14th March to Chelmsford for the Award Ceremony.
- A second Books & Biscuits club (Thursdays) has been taking part in the Stan Lee Excelsior Award for Graphic Novels/Manga/Comics
- The Library will be hosting the East Herts School Librarians Group (EHSLG) meeting on the 22nd March.
- On the 16th March Mrs Ballard, our Librarian, is attending a History Forum at the Society of Authors regarding the value of historical literature in the curriculum.
- Next term the Library will be having local author Pauline Francis working with Year 8 students during their Library Lessons and taking part in the prestigious Carnegie and Kate Greenaway Awards ending with an afternoon tea event in the Library on June 19th.